A cruise on Lake Zurich with a detour to Ufenau Island
Finally, the temperatures are rising and plenty of attractions are waiting to be discovered near and on the lake – so, how about a cruise?
Ship ahoy, here we go! On this beautiful summer day, we set off for our next adventure: A boat trip from Rapperswil to Zurich! The trip - which can be made in both directions - takes a little less than two hours and is perfect for a day trip - ideally with a stop on the charming Ufenau Island.
From April to October, the island can be easily reached by boat from the Lake Zurich Navigation Company and promises a unique experience. The island is located in the upper part of Lake Zurich near Rapperswil-Jona. Despite its small size of 11 hectares, Ufenau is the largest island in Switzerland! Another exciting info: We are in a nature reserve and discover a variety of animal and plant species in their natural environment.
We follow the beautiful wheelchair and stroller accessible trail around the island and visit the church St. Peter and Paul as well as the chapel St. Martin. The distinctive cultural elements of the island were built in the 12th century and have been preserved until today.
On our way to Ufenau Island: Goodbye, Rapperswil!
A childhood dream: Being captain for one day!
Passing vineyards and meadows, where the children admire the grazing cows that are brought to the island by boat in spring, we reach the restaurant "Haus zu den zwei Raben". The child-friendly restaurant is open daily and serves tasty treats such as "Fischknusperli", salads and barbecue.
We enjoy our visit very much. Once again, we see that there are plenty of ways to discover the region - so why not by boat?
Back to overview page
On and around Lake Zurich there are a variety of things you can do as a family. Starting with the many public pools, lakeside beaches and boat trips to adventure playgrounds, great restaurants and cultural offerings, to walks in the woods and barbecue fun at the numerous public fireplaces. There's no need to go someplace far away - summer can come and stay!
Stop at one of these places when out and about:
- Thalwil: Take a dip into Lake Zurich at the Seebad Bürger I and rest on the pontoon rafts
- Oberrieden: Slide into the refreshing water on the 4-m slide at Strandbad Oberrieden
- Horgen: Take the ferry boat to Meilen and back
- Halbinsel Au: Enjoy delicious food at the restaurant Landgasthof Halbinsel Au and discover the big adventure playground
- Männedorf: Go for a swim with the whole family and have a great barbecue at the Strandbad Sonnenfeld
- Stäfa: Have fun on the large lawn at the restaurant Villa Sunneschy, and, on rainy days, explore all the exciting games in the restaurant's play corner
- Timetable: Plan your boat trip with online timetable of the Zurich Public Transport Association (ZVV)
- Insel Lützelau: Take the taxi boat to the island and spend the night with the whole family at Campingplatz Lützelau in the middle of nature.
- Fun and entertainment for kids: From concerts to crafting – all of it on a cruise ship on Lake Zurich – a great family trip with Unique Cruises
- Lake Zurich Trail: Walk around Lake Zurich in 10 stages
- Hensa Pedal Boat Hire in Rapperswil: Explore Lake Zurich With a Pedalo
More child-friendly boat trips